We hope you enjoy using mariecolvinnetwork.org (the site), whether you're exploring stories about our work around the world or looking to get involved yourself.
This site is operated by The Circle of Women (The Circle or we). The Marie Colvin Journalists Network is a project supported by The Circle of Women and The Circle is a registered charity (charity number 1160293) and a company limited by guarantee (company number 08993335). The Circle is also registered in Scotland (SCO46315). The Circle's registered address is Merchant House, 30 Cloth Market, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 1EE. The Marie Colvin Journalists’ Network is a project operated and administered by The Circle.
1.By using the site, you confirm that you accept these terms and conditions and that you agree to comply with them. If
you do not accept these terms and conditions, you must not use the site.
2. The Circle may change these terms and conditions at any time by amending this page. Please check this page from
time to time and take notice of any changes. Your continued use of the site constitutes your acceptance of these terms
and conditions as modified.
3. Mentors provide help and guidance on a goodwill basis. Mentors will only mentor registered mentees. Therefore,
mentoring through the site will not be provided to the general public, although we may from time to time run limited
projects whereby our registered mentors will provide guidance to a wider group of recipients.
4. You agree to use the site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe the rights, or restrict, or inhibit the use and enjoyment of the site by any third party.
Intellectual property rights
5. Use of the site and its content does not transfer or otherwise grant to any user any right or interest in The Circle’s
intellectual property rights or any intellectual property rights owned by a third party.
6. Commercial use or publication of the content on the site is strictly prohibited without prior authorisation from The
Circle. Nothing contained in these terms and conditions confers any licence to use any content on the site.
7. Pages from the site may be printed or copied for personal use only. Our status (and that of any identified contributors)
as the authors of material on our site must always be acknowledged. You must not modify the content or digital copies
of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way.
8. Some documents and photos have been published on the site with the permission of the relevant third party copyright
owners. All rights are reserved on these documents and permission to copy them must be requested from the copyright
owners (the sources are indicated within these documents/photographs).
Third party links and resources in the site
9. The Circle takes no responsibility for the content of external Internet sites. Other websites that we link to are owned
and operated by third parties and The Circle has no control over them. The fact that we include links to other websites
does not mean that The Circle approves of or endorses any other third party website or the content of that website. We
accept no liability for any statements, information, products or services that are published on or are accessible through
any websites owned or operated by third parties.
Uploading content to the site
10. If you upload any content to our site or use the site to make contact with other users, you must comply with these
terms and conditions and, in particular, the content standards below. You warrant that any such contribution complies
with these terms and conditions, and you indemnify us for any breach of that warranty (meaning that you must
reimburse us for any costs we incur as a result of your breaching those standards).
11. Any communication or material that you transmit to, or post on, any public area of the site including any data,
questions, comments, suggestions, or the like, is, and will be treated as, non-confidential and non-proprietary
12. We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials posted by you or
any other user of our site.
13. We have the right to remove any material or posting you make on our site if, in our opinion, such material does not
comply with these terms and conditions.
14. Our site provides interactive services to its registered members. Our interactive services are moderated where they
relate to communications between the mentor and mentee. We include built in protection, to allow inappropriate
interactions between the mentor and mentee to be reported to us. However, we request that you help moderate your
own discussions and make sure that you do not use inappropriate language and that the content complies at all times
with our content standards. Although the communications submitted through our interactive services are fully
moderated, we are under no obligation to you or any other person to oversee, monitor or moderate the interactive
services or any other service we provide on our site and we may stop moderating the interactive services at any time.
We reserve the right to remove, or to disable access to, any contribution which we deem to be potentially defamatory of
any person or which we deem unlawful or in violation of any third party rights.
15. If you feel uncomfortable or concerned about any communication, please contact us and let us know and we will
take appropriate action.
16. These content standards apply to any and all material which you communicate through or to our
site(communications), and to any interactive services associated with it.
17. Communications must:
18. Communications must not:
Accessing the site
19. Access to the site is permitted on a temporary basis and we reserve the right to withdraw, suspend, discontinue or
change all or any part of the site without notice. We will not be liable if for any reason our site is unavailable at any
time for any period.
20. From time to time, we may restrict access to some parts of our site, or our entire site, to users who have registered
with us. If you would like to apply to become a member or register as a mentee, contact us here. Whilst we try to
process all eligible applications,Whilst we try to process all eligible applications, registration to use the site is at our
discretion and we reserve the right not to process your application without giving you a reason why.
21. If you choose, or are provided with a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our
security procedures, you must treat this information as confidential and you must not disclose it to any third party.
22. We have the right to disable any user identification code or password, whether chosen by you or allocated by us, at
any time, if in our opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of these terms and conditions.
23. If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your identification code or password, you must contact us immediately.
24. You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are also
responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our site through your internet connection are aware of these
terms and conditions, and that they comply with them.
25. You may use the site only for lawful purposes. You may not use the site:
26. You also agree:
No reliance on information and limitation of liability
27. Commentary and other materials posted on our site are not intended to amount to advice on which reliance should be
placed; they are there for guidance purposes only.
28. The Circle makes no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on the
site is accurate, complete or up-to-date.
29. The Circle will not be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, loss of profit, indirect, incidental or
consequential loss, or any damages whatsoever arising from the use of, or in connection with such use or loss of use
of, the site, whether in contract or tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if
30. We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other
technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other
proprietary material due to your use of the site or to your downloading of any content on it, or on any website linked
31. This does not affect our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, nor our liability for
fraudulent misrepresentation, nor any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
32. You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform in order to
access the site. You should use your own virus protection software.
33. You must not misuse the site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material
which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to the site, the
server on which the site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to the site.
Linking to our site
34. You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation
or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval
or endorsement on our part where none exists.
site relating to specific material then the latter shall prevail.
36. These terms and conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales. Any
disputes shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales.
37. If you have any comments or queries concerning our website, please contact us or write to us at Merchant House, 30
Cloth Market, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 1EE.